Wednesday, February 3, 2010

"Releasing your Inner Sprite"

"Everybody's got the right to some sunshine.
Even though at times they go to extremes."
Steven Sondheim

I came to the realization that I am not blah-
ging enough about my artistic journey. I am writing this entry in the hopes of inspiring other people to harness their creative Mojo because we all have it. I don't care if you think I am idealistic or cliche, and perhaps this entry lacks the necessary tinge of New York cynicism, but trust me- I can be one of those people who doesn't wait for others to exit the subway car before getting on the train in my less attractive moments.

I just wanted to take a moment and wax eloquent about releasing your "Inner Creative Sprite." I remember the moments in my life where I felt at home in the world . These were moments when I was creating something and collaborating with others. I started early on, playing dress up with my cousin on the sandy beaches of Cape Cod at the age of 7 which usually resulted in ruining my Aunt Judy's fresh face while we cracked her up. I was also one of "those" teenagers who dressed up in full costume and danced around her room to show tunes. Not to Oklahoma, but to Assassins ( I was a little angsty) All this joy has carried on into my adulthood as I collaborate with others in the millions of projects I am a part of. It has made me realize that my mission statement in life is to harness and direct creativity whilst collaborating with others to influence and impact the world.

I sometimes encounter times in my life when my creative mojo is so on it oozes out of me like a broken Honey jar. And ever since my acting coach ( Nyle Lynn Caisley) told me I was funny, I literally have not been able to stop writing--everything from stand up to songs, screen plays, and skits. I wake up at 3am with ideas for crazy sketches about Muppet's, blogs about the pressure of being a young Jewish girl in 2010, and of course random sorted stories about the dating foibles of the various schmucks in the city.

All this creative energy, coupled with sometimes having to take on a day job to support my creative habit, can be somewhat daunting at times, which is why I used the aforementioned term "broken
Honey jar." I have so many stories inside me to share: entertaining, heart breaking and hilarious. I could put my head on the pillow and dream of being subsidized by the European government or a sugar daddy, but for right now at least, I am hustling like a maniac to pay the bills and putting into practice my ideas in as many ways I can.

This includes


1) Starting my own production company: Shooting Comet Productions, LLC

(Our first film short I wrote, "Max and Zoey" wrapped this weekend....)

2) Collaborating with other songwriters and comedy writers

(and taking a class with Kevin Allison of "The State")

3) Working with a fabulous coach for my evolving screen play
(Marilyn Horowitz)

4) Joining "Vigilante" a new musical improv troupe. ( nominated for a 2010 INNY award)

Because I come from a family whose worth is unfortunately sometimes defined by professional success ( a Tri state area Jew thing I guess), I feel pressure to immediately make money off of my new artistic endeavors. This urge is supported by the fact that being a musical theater actress has been my source of income for the last three years. Writing, stand up comedy, improv and sketch is a departure from the usual way I survive which is playing a ten year old on stage. Even without monetary compensation I resist waiting for Mr. Producer to subsidize me and trust that if I am eventually going to be paid for this, the course will manifest itself. For now, I am just trusting the process.

Why am I writing all this? I feel like so often creative people feel they have something to prove to people since we generally rely on someone else to employ us based on our "talent." What people don't realize is that there are many other factors around being cast in something, like type, look, other cast members and a whole list of other x factors that we as artists have no control over.

Getting back to the "art" of it all, I see a lot of creative people struggling all the time
because there doesn't seem to be a societal priority to nurture artists. This comes from external and internal sources as well. So, I encourage you all to get out there and harness your inner creativeness. In order to do this I have put together a little list of nuggets that has really helped me in my creative endeavors.

1
) Surround yourself with people that are encouraging and supportive, and who "get you artistically" and who you feel comfortable with.

2) Even if you have to work a "day job" this is not an excuse for not being creative. There are tons of FREE things out there--open mikes, a sketch book, putting pen to paper. There are tons of fun shiny talented people out there!

3) Watch "The
Muppet's Take Manhattan" and "Everyone Says I Love You." Just do it!

4) Start to develop an artistic community around you. Have people you help and people that help you:)


6) Take some time every day to be creative. Whether I like it or not, I write every day, or sketch, or design!


7) When in doubt, watch people on the subway for inspiration...

Lastly, here are some people that have proved to be inspirations in my life as of late, and I hope that they inspire you as well.

Thanks for reading

Peace in the middle-east.

Love Hayls


www.nylecaisley.com Acting Coach/ Actress
www.marilynhorowitz.com Writing Coach/Script consultant
www.rachelgriffin.com/fr_index.cfm Singer songwriter

1 comment:

  1. So true on so many counts, Haylster. I tell every bright eyed and bushy tailed kid that they need to create their own opportunity. Don't wait for someone to give you a break, create your own!

    ReplyDelete